Designing for Inclusion and Independence – An Explanatory Guide to support the Briefing and Design of Accessible Housing is Summer Housing’s first publication.
Designing for Inclusion and Independence aims to support stakeholders in the briefing, design and specification of high quality accessible housing. The guide is a practical resource that includes the following features:
- Background information and provisions in the one resource
- Explanatory information and examples to aid understanding
- Separate sections for different design stages, such as planning or detailed design stages
- Separate parts for particular building professionals, such as interiors, technology, fire safety etc.
- Key provisions presented as ‘checklists’, with further information presented as ‘practice tips’
- Inclusion of current design benchmarks: Livable Housing Australia (Platinum Level) and Specialist Disability Accommodation (High Physical Support), as well as further provisions aimed at best practice
The guide is made up of six parts. Download the relevant section below:
This section provides a brief introduction to the issue of accessible housing within Australia, drawing attention to key structures and resources.SH Design Guide – Introduction
This section suggests provisions for consideration during early planning stages.SH Design Guide – Part A: Spatial Planning – Typology
This section suggests spatial provisions and relationships needed within an accessible dwelling for consideration during the planning stage.
You can also download the individual sections as listed below:1. Car Parking and Transfer Area
2. Dwelling Access, Entry, Letterboxes and Waste Disposal
3. Internal Doors and Corridors
4. Accessible Bedroom
5. Accessible Bathroom
6. Living and Dining
8. Secondary Bedroom(s)
9. Secondary Bathroom/Powder Room
11. General Storage
12. Private Open Space
This section steps through the material building elements in a dwelling, which are applied across multiple spaces.SH Design Guide – Part C: Construction and Detailing – Building Elements
This section steps through the key systems in a dwelling where access features may need integration.SH Design Guide – Part D: Construction and Detailing – System Elements
This section includes supplementary information that supports the provisions suggested within this guide. It is intended this section will be added to over time, including topical information on specific design issues within accessible housing e.g. ceiling hoist selection, tempering of hot water, etc.SH Design Guide – Appendices
If you are interested in purchasing a hard copy please submit your details below and we will be in touch.